Senior Corporate Counsel
Afresh is on a mission to eliminate food waste and make fresh food accessible to all. Our first A.I.-powered solution optimizes ordering, forecasting, and store operations for fresh food departments in brick-and-mortar grocers. With our Fresh Operating System, regional and national grocery retailers have placed $1.6 billion in produce orders across the US and we've helped our partners prevent 34 million pounds of food from going to waste. Working at Afresh represents a one-of-a-kind opportunity to have massive social impact at scale by leveraging uncommonly impactful software – we hope you'll join us!
About the Role
We currently use an outside firm for our legal counsel. As our first in-house Senior Corporate Counsel, you’ll lead all aspects of legal work for Afresh. This means that over time you’ll take on more responsibility and build our legal capabilities. You’ll:
- Lead all aspects of legal work internally and externally for the organization
- Draft new contracts, and manage all contract review & negotiation processes across new and existing Afresh customers, vendors, and partners
- Advise Afresh leadership on employment law, compliance and regulatory matters (nice to have: intellectual property and international law)
- Coordinate with external counsel to maximize efficiency and manage legal expenses
- Ensure as we grow and scale we are managing risk appropriately for our size and speed
Skills and Experience
The following represents attributes our ideal candidate possesses. We encourage all highly-qualified candidates to apply, even if they do not fulfill all the listed criteria.
- 6+ years of experience in a legal role that involved advising high-growth companies (ideally SAAS) on commercial matters.
- Can lead a deal, negotiate effectively, and have ideas about optimal negotiation.
- You have detailed knowledge of contract, employment, commercial and business law
- Adept at balancing the risks and needs of a fast paced, dynamic environment (AKA start-up)
- Ability to provide pragmatic, solutions-oriented guidance which balances legal risk and business judgment
- Highly collaborative and ability to work effectively as part of a team
- BA/BS and JD from an accredited law school
- Current member of NY or CA Bar
Afresh is committed to pay equity and providing highly competitive cash compensation, equity, and benefits package. Afresh conducts a pay equity audit twice each year to ensure that jobs of similar scope and impact are paid similar amounts. The final compensation offered for this role will be based on multiple factors such as the role’s scope, complexity, internal equity, the candidate’s experience/expertise, and success through the interview process.
Founded in 2017, Afresh is working on the #1 solution to curb climate change: reducing food waste. By combining human insight and transformative technology, we're helping grocers provide fresher food to customers at more affordable prices.
Afresh sits at an incredible intersection of positive social impact, rocket ship financial growth, and cutting-edge technology. Our best-in-class AI research has been published in top journals including ICML, and we've raised over $148 million in funding from investors including former co-CEO of Whole Foods Market Walter Robb and Eric Schmidt's Innovation Endeavors.
Fresh is the past, present, and future of our food system – the waste we create today will impact our planet for years to come. Join us as we continue to build a vibrant, diverse, and inclusive team that embodies our company’s values of proactivity, kindness, candor, and humility.
Afresh provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, pregnancy or related condition, or any other basis protected by law.
Here at Afresh, many of our employees work remotely provided that they reside in one of the following states: AR, CA, CO, FL, GA, IL, KY, MA, MI, MT, MO, NV, NJ, NY, NC, OR, PA, TX, WA, WI. However, there may be key roles that will require a candidate/employee to be local to our San Francisco, CA office. In which case this requirement will be included in the job posting details under "Skills and experience" for reference.