Engineering Manager, Machine Learning
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, May 4, 2023
Attentive® is the AI marketing platform for leading brands, designed to optimize message performance through 1:1 SMS and email interactions. Infusing intelligence at every stage of the consumer's purchasing journey, Attentive empowers businesses to achieve hyper-personalized communication with their customers on a large scale. Leveraging AI-powered tools, a mobile-first approach, two-way conversations, and enterprise-grade technology, Attentive drives billions in online revenue for brands around the globe. Trusted by over 8,000 leading brands such as CB2, GUESS, Urban Outfitters, and Pura Vida, Attentive is the go-to solution for delivering powerful commerce experiences for consumers with the brands they love.
Attentive’s growth has been recognized by Deloitte’s Fast 500, Linkedin’s Top Startups and Forbes Cloud 100 all thanks to the hard work from our global employees!
Who we are
Our engineering department consists of 200+ people across multiple teams, such as application development, infrastructure, data platform, machine learning, and security. We believe our company will win in the long run through product innovation. To get there, we obsess over iteratively delivering customer value through rapid prototyping and data-driven decision-making.
We're looking for an Engineering Manager to lead a newly formed team of Engineers working to develop and enhance our marketing platform by automating the everyday marketer task’s by leveraging machine learning. You will contribute to the development of machine learning models and infrastructure needs across the Attentive platform and work with Product Management and Engineering to implement end-to-end modeling use cases. This is a hands-on role where you are expected to balance people management, technical oversight, and cross-functional leadership.
Why Attentive needs you
- You’ll participate in the detailed technical design, development, implementation and support of web stack and machine learning and its capabilities applications using existing and emerging technology platforms
- You will collaborate with our product management team to craft plans to achieve our business goals
- You'll serve as a technical domain expert in machine learning, data processing, data serving architectural design decisions, developing and reviewing model and application code, and ensuring high availability and performance of our applications
- You are an effective people manager, who can manage high-performing teams, and helps them reach their highest potential
- You have experience leading teams building products based on machine learning
- You are an excellent coach, mentor, and developer of engineers.3yrs of industry experience using ML to solve real-world problems with large datasets
- You care about software quality, and have a track record of building reliable, high-uptime systems.
- You translate business needs into clearly scoped ML projects, and take a hands-on approach to steer solution design and implementation
- You are excited by new technologies, yet know how to evaluate and choose the right tools for the right reasons
- 8,000 brands powered by Attentive sent over 2.2 billion text messages over Cyber Week 2023 (Black Friday/Cyber Monday) representing a growth of 31% from 2022
- We sent 32 billion SMS messages in 2023, up 32% YoY. That’s an average of 87 million per day
- Our production cluster contains over 18,000 containers which serve 200+ services
- Our streaming services process over 80 billion events per month
What we use
- Our infrastructure runs primarily in Kubernetes hosted in AWS’s EKS
- Infrastructure tooling includes Istio, Datadog, Terraform, CloudFlare, and Helm
- Our backend is Java / Spring Boot microservices, built with Gradle, coupled with things like DynamoDB, Pulsar, AirFlow, Postgres, Planetscale, and Redis, hosted via AWS.
- Our frontend is built with React and TypeScript, and uses best practices like GraphQL, Storybook, Radix UI, Vite, esbuild, and Playwright
- Our automation is driven by custom and open source machine learning models, lots of data and built with Python, Metaflow, HuggingFace 🤗, PyTorch, TensorFlow, and Pandas.
You'll get competitive perks and benefits, from health & wellness to equity, to help you bring your best self to work.
For US based applicants:
- The US base salary range for this full-time position is $208,000 - $300,000 annually + equity + benefits
- Our salary ranges are determined by role, level and location
Attentive Company Values
Default to Action - Move swiftly and with purpose
Be One Unstoppable Team - Rally as each other’s champions
Champion the Customer - Our success is defined by our customers' success
Act Like an Owner - Take responsibility for Attentive’s success
Learn more about AWAKE, Attentive’s collective of employee resource groups.
If you do not meet all the requirements listed here, we still encourage you to apply! No job description is perfect, and we may also have another opportunity that closely matches your skills and experience.
At Attentive, we know that our Company's strength lies in the diversity of our employees. Attentive is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities for all employees, applicants and covered individuals regardless of protected characteristics. We prioritize and maintain a fair, inclusive and equitable workplace free from discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.