Senior Engineering Manager
Who is Boulevard?
Boulevard provides the first and only client experience platform for appointment-based, self-care businesses. We empower our customers to give their clients more of the magical moments that matter most.
Before launching in 2016, our founders spent months interviewing salon managers and working behind front desks to understand their pain points so we could design a modern, user-friendly platform that meets the unique needs of their business. Our roots may be in hair salons, but we are built for the broader self-care industry, including many types of salons, spas, medspas, barbershops, and more. Our technology not only helps our customers survive but thrive. Take a look at how we (and YOU) can make that happen.
We have an insatiable curiosity and embrace experimentation. We believe that simple solutions require the most sophistication, and we design each and every detail to maximize potential, power, and impact. Do our values match? Read through our story and what we value the most.
Our team values and celebrates our diverse backgrounds. Being open about who we are and what we do allows us to do the best work of our lives. We believe in equal opportunity for all, and you should too.
Come do the best work of your life at Boulevard.
Commerce is the core of Boulevard’s Client Experience Platform that powers the foundational components of the platform including Orders, Checkouts, Memberships, Vouchers, Inventory, Products, Services, etc. These are critical components of the platform requiring high standards of data integrity, latency, scalability, and flexibility.
As the Engineering Manager for the Commerce team, you will be responsible for leading your team to evolve the Commerce Platform to be best in class by building robust and delightful user experiences reliably and at scale. You are passionate about the customer experience, owning the quality and integrity of your team’s work, and holding your team to a high-quality bar. You partner and collaborate closely with your Product Manager, Designer, and Product Marketing Manager to make the best product decisions, build great products, and deliver significant business outcomes. You are passionate about building high-performing teams and fostering an environment where everyone is motivated to do their best work.
What you’ll do here:
- Hire, lead, and nurture engineers, empowering them to function as a highly performant team by setting clear expectations/goals, instilling a culture of ownership and accountability, and coaching/supporting growth challenges and opportunities.
- Help develop a culture of learning and development/career growth.
- Help develop a culture of continuous improvement and best practices.
- Collaborate with the Product Quad (Engineering, Product, Design, Product Marketing) on developing the roadmap in alignment with the company goals, execution, delivery of features, and improving the KPIs for the team.
- Uphold a culture of high engineering discipline by advocating for observability, monitoring, quality, and system metrics.
- Establish clear goals with your teams that support company objectives and individual growth and hold your teams accountable to desired outcomes.
- Participate in Incident Commander on-call rotation and lead incident handling and resolution for incidents that arise when you are on call.
- Be responsible for technical decisions within your team. Ensure technical decisions support longer-term direction for the platform as a whole. Ensures teams develop reliable solutions without single points of failure for mission-critical features.
- Increasingly optimize for the wider org and driving cross-engineering initiatives to impactful outcomes beyond individual teams' scope.
- Anticipate constraints, limitations, etc that may prevent the ability to achieve broader business objectives and ensure the team executes the technology strategy for enabling the platform to meet those objectives.
- Be a role model for the team by demonstrating Boulevard’s values, accountability, and growth mindset.
What you’ll need to thrive:
- Experience: At least 5 years of experience managing engineering teams. Experience leading teams in building and evolving SaaS Platforms and APIs. Experience building full-stack web applications. Experience with multiple front end frameworks. Prior Commerce experience is a plus.
- Mentorship & Career Growth Planning: Proven expertise and opinions on proper career growth planning, team building, and best practices.
- Technical & Leadership Skills: You have a balance of both technical and leadership strengths. You guide sound technical decisions within the team, as well as empower individuals and the team as a whole.
- Forward Thinker: Demonstrated ability to set strategy for evolving systems to best support long-term objectives while still delivering incremental value in the now.
- Strong Communicator: Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills. You know your audience and can communicate effectively to both technical and nontechnical audiences.
- Collaborative: Deep partnership with your product trio, constantly collaborating to ensure we’re driving towards the desired outcomes. Healthy engagement with peers and stakeholders across R&D for cross-functional initiatives.
- Architecture Knowledge: Experience building and evolving platforms to scale efficiently as business and product scales.
- Pride in the work: Pride for the work you do and care deeply about the products that consume your services.
- Data Driven: You leverage data to support your point of view and to make decisions.
How we’ll take care of you:
Your starting budgeted cash compensation for this role is between $197,000 and $282,000 USD, depending on your current skills, experience, training, and overall market demands. This salary range is subject to change, and there is always room for growth and advancement.
In addition to the wonderful people you’ll get to work with and challenging projects that’ll push you - Boulevard is here to make sure you’re always at the top of your game emotionally, mentally, and physically.
✨ We’ve got you covered with a 401(k) match plus dental, medical, vision, and life insurance.
🏝 Take a break whenever you need with our flexible vacation day policy.
🖥 Fully remote so you can choose where you want to work. You’ll receive a work from home stipend every month.
💚 Family planning resources and specialized support programs.
🔮 Equity: get ahead on the ground floor and grow with Boulevard.
💅 Boulevard Bucks Learning and Development program allows employees to explore businesses in the market we serve.
📲 We recommend following our official LinkedIn page to stay up to date on all things Boulevard life!
Boulevard Labs, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. All employment decisions at Boulevard Labs, Inc. are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.