Contracts Associate (Independent Contractor)
Weee! is the largest and fastest-growing ethnic e-grocer in the United States, operating in one of the largest underserved categories in retail with affordable access to exciting ethnic food. By partnering with local suppliers, redesigning the value chain and leveraging social buying, Weee! is reshaping the grocery business entirely. You can read more about us on Business Insider, Reuters and TechCrunch.
Weee! is headquartered in Fremont, CA, and is currently available coast to coast with exceptional growth (5x YoY) across geographies, categories and ethnicities. We have raised $800M+ in funding to date from leading investors including Softbank Vision Funds, DST, Blackstone, Tiger Global, Lightspeed Ventures, Goodwater Capital, XVC and iFly. The opportunity now is to join a rocketship as we prepare for the next stage of growth, and an eventual public listing.
About this role:
Weee! seeks a law school graduate having earned a J.D. to join the Legal Team of a
fast-growing VC-backed business. As a Contracts Associate on our team, you will gain
experience working with colleagues across our business to find thoughtful legal solutions to
challenging business questions. Reporting to the Legal Director this position is located in
Weee!’s corporate headquarters in Fremont, CA.
The successful candidate will work with in house counsel to provide substantive legal
support with perhaps some administrative work where necessary. The Contracts Associate will
gain experience working with the company’s HR, Marketing, Merchandising, Operations,
Finance + Accounting, and Product teams on an array of corporate, regulatory, and pre-litigation
matters. This is an opportunity to gain experience at a startup and be part of a growing e-
commerce grocery company with a great consumer brand.
This role is compensated at a rate of $45-50 per hour and is required to be either on site in our
Fremont offices or a combination of on site in Fremont and S.F. offices TBD. The company
observes all COVID-19 safety protocols and most employees in our Fremont office have been
vaccinated as a result of being designated an essential grocery business. Weee! is building the
next-generation grocer. We want team players who would value the real-world experience of
working in a company. We are eager to meet you!
We are looking for a J.D. with an interest in both corporate and litigation work with a desire to gain exposure in the following areas: commercial transactions, product counseling, food & beverage regulatory matters, real estate, and pre-litigation counseling. The candidate will also possess the following:
- The tenacity to thrive in a fast-paced start-up environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong analytical capabilities and judgment.
- Ability to work proactively, independently, and reliably under tight timeframes in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work effectively, collaboratively, cross-functionally, think practically and be solution oriented in a multi-lingual environment.
- Willingness to tackle matters outside area of expertise.
- JD graduate from an accredited law school either waiting bar results or already licensed. LLMs also encouraged to apply.
- Excellent legal research skills.
- Willingness to commute to and from our corporate headquarters in Fremont, CA and/or S.F. (SOMA new location)
- Proficiency in Japanese or Korean language translation is a plus.
- Consistently conduct legal research;
- Draft short form memos on research findings for the business;
- Negotiate contracts and draft new contractual templates;
- Liaise with business partners in HR, Finance, Product, Merchandise, Marketplace, RTG,
- Logistics, Insurance, Marketing, IT re: new projects and scope;
- Research existing contracts re: termination and indemnification rights.
- Work on larger projects as necessary.